- Promotes thicker & fuller growth
- Less prone to debris damage during Gold Coast storms
- Improves the overall look of your garden
- Improves the health of your hedge
- Prevents the spread of disease and insects
- Promotes longer stems & flowering
Need help hedge trimming on the Gold Coast? Contact us on 0408 314 314
How To Hedge Your Garden
Courtesy: Lowe’s Home Improvement
Hedge Trimming Tips
- Regardless of which hedge-trimming tools you use to maintain your hedge, you want the blades to be sharpened and clean. Blunt blades will tear at the leaves instead of cutting and cause excessive damage.
- Always remove any dead branches as this will decrease the chances of an insect infestation, as well as diseases spreading.
- Cut the vertical sides first using an up-and-down motion, moving slowly. Use a similar side-to-side motion when cutting the top.
- Never hedge trim the sides of your shrub on an angle, as this will reduce the amount of sunlight that reaches the lower limbs.
- Remove a maximum of 1/3 of the limbs. Removing too much foliage will damage your hedge.
- Always wear protective equipment when operating hedge trimming equipment. If you’re not confident using the equipment, you should seek the help of your local Gold Coast gardener.
Looking to plant a hedge on the Gold Coast?
Also known as the box hedge, it’s a smaller green hedge that’s easy to maintain, but slow growing. Once established, it will give your garden a neat and classy look.
Medium to small in size, the lilly pilly hedge is known for its contrasting cherry red, copper and bronze colours. It can be more prone to disease and pests than other species.
Similar to the box hedge except taller, the murraya hedge is dark green in colour and provides an elegant, neat finish. Murraya plants lack foliage colour compared to other varieties
Popular due their fiery red foliage, a photinia is the perfect hedge for brightening up your garden. Make sure you do your research before investing in a photinia, as some varieties can look twiggy.
If you don’t have the tools, knowledge or time to take care of your garden, talk to the friendly Focal Point Landscape Maintenance team today and we’ll be happy to assist with a free quote!